What tea tree essential oil safety precautions should I keep in mind when using this aromatherapy oil?
Ask An Aromatherapist Answer
When using tea tree essential oil keep the following safety precautions in mind:
1. Avoid using it on young children since it has been linked to pre-adolescent breast development in boys (gynaecomastia) and girls (pre-pubescent breast development).
2. Do not use it if you have risk factors for breast cancer and other hormonal cancers like cancers of the ovary and uterus since it has estrogen-like effects.
3. It may be irritating on sensitive skins.
4. Do not use it alone for more than 2-3 months as it may lead to sensitization.
5. Always buy your essential oils from a reputable vendor to ensure you use high quality therapeutic grade essential oils in your blends.