What patchouli essential oil safety precautions should I keep in mind when using it?
Ask An Aromatherapist Answer
When using patchouli essential oil keep the following safety precautions in mind:
1. If used in large amounts may cause anorexia or loss of appetite in some people.
2. Do not use/ avoid it if you are allergic to cosmetics, perfumes and spicy foods
3. Do not use it alone for more than 2-3 months as it may lead to sensitization.
4. Always buy your essential oils from a reputable vender to ensure you use high quality therapeutic grade essential oils in your blends.
5. Do not confuse essential oils with fragrance oils since the latter do not have the healing properties of the natural aromatherapy oils.
Ask An Aromatherapist Your Question