What bergamot essential oil safety precautions should I keep in mind when using it?
Ask An Aromatherapist Answer
When using bergamot essential oil keep the following safety precautions in mind:
1. Do not expose the skin to sunlight and UV light for 12-24 hours after using it. It makes the skin more sensitive to the UV light and to developing skin cancer.
2. Do not use bergamot essential oil on children.
3. Do not use bergamot essential oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
4. Avoid it if you have sensitive skin as it can irritate the skin.
5. Do not use bergamot if you are taking medications that make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. These include tetracycline, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, amitriptyline, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin and related drugs.
Ask An Aromatherapist Your Question